Well, not so much a nose job as a nose correction. And I'm having it done on Wednesday (23rd). My friend B is driving me to & from so Ian can do his work. It's to correct my apparently heinously deformed septum, and the surgery itself takes less than an hour from the time they start to put me under until the time I'm in recovery. And minor enough that after an hour or so in recovery I'm supposed to be able to go home. That will be nice.
But, there is always something with this kind of stuff, and this is no exception. First, I am very close to the weight limit for the surgi-center at the hospital. REAL close. I'm going to have to convince the anesthesiologist that it will be okay. After all - my eeg is perfect, my blood pressure is a nice 112/60, and my pulse rate is 68. (Not bad for anyone, and especially not bad for someone as heavy as I am). If I am over the weight limit, they may say that I have to have the procedure done in the full day surgery center, which means it would take *hours*. I am trying to eat as little as possible and be healthy for the next day or so. To "help" matters, I am retaining water like crazy again. That alone can add 5-7 lbs almost overnight. Then there's the whole matter of it being "easy" surgery. If it's so easy, why did she give me the heavy-duty vicodin to pre-fill?
And I love the post op instructions that include things like "use a bag of frozen peas or corn on the sides of your nose to keep the swelling down" and the fact that I'll be sleeping sitting up for at least the next couple weeks. Oh - but since I use a CPAP machine, I have to spend another two weeks sleeping sitting up because I won't be able to use the CPAP until 4 weeks after surgery.
Then there's the whole dressing issue. The seepage will be the most, apparently, for the first 48 hours (hence keeping your nose under iced peas and corn). But then they throw in this little gem - "You might want to wear a button down shirt since overhead clothing may be painful to put on after surgery." Which got me to thinking this is more of an ordeal than I thought. Not to mention that I think I may own one button down (zip, whatever) top. Good thing there were some sales. By friday, I will have 5, and I will be able to wear them beyond the surgery & recovery.
The Dr. says she probably won't have to pack my nose, but if she does, then I'll have to go back on Thursday to get it unpacked (I think that's the right day - it may be Friday). At least I think Ian can drive me around, so long as he doesn't miss his Chemistry class at the college.
Oh - a side note - if I DO have to have my nose packed, the things they use look like nose tampons. Seriously. They are hard-packed cotton with a string out the bottom. She used them with Ken when he was having nosebleed problems.
Then there's the whole ability to do things when I get home. I really don't have a lot of down time this week. I have art class tomorrow, and have to get stuff ready to be at the surgi-center at 7:45 am. The surgi-center is an hour away from here in traffic, and of course we're going to be in the middle of the commute. Anyway, I also have to get the next draft of the invitations out for Ian's orchestra's fundraiser. The micro-manager in charge wants changes by this Saturday, because it needs to go to the printer on the 1st. That, at least, I understand. But then there are the people coming around on Sunday to see if some of the wine I have might be good for said fundraiser, either to drink or to auction.
And Ian has to get to class on Friday - he's already not going to make Wednesday. I need him home for me when I get back. He's going to be doing most of the cooking, but we've already made out menus, and Schwan's to the rescue (they come Wednesday). I'll be on soft food and icy food (read - lots of ice cream and popsicles, with a side of cottage cheese and yogurt). Good thing I have lots of Lactaid. I can also have eggs and oatmeal. And I am thankful beyond all that Ian not only knows how to cook, he is pretty darn good at it. He's also good at laundry, should my nose decide not to cooperate.
Thank the gods that Matt will most likely be working on grouting tile and painting. These are very quiet things. Except if the vanity comes. Then he'll be putting that in and the mirror, etc., and that will be loud. I know Ian is anxious to have his own bathroom back, and so am I.
Funny thing - today by this evening my stomach was in knots for some odd reason. I can't imagine why....
No comments:
Post a Comment