Monday, January 21, 2013

I originally posted this on my livejournal account last week, but it's kinda like a tomb over there....


The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. - Lao-tzu, Chinese philosopher 650BCE.

Everybody needs to start somewhere. I started today. I am severely overweight & out of shape - I had to make sure the treadmill I bought would support my weight (a lot don't). Anyway, today I got the treadmill set up. It was pretty straightforward. I broke it in with a 10 minute walk @ about 2mph. I was breathing heavily and my heart rate was definitely up at the end of it. I walked .28 miles. Which is .28 more miles than I walked yesterday. But definitely I need to do this and build up my stamina, and do it every day.
I also signed up to the 500 Mile Challenge facebook group.  In fact, that is what got me started.  I realized that the "tomorrow" I kept putting off had finally arrived today, and if I don't do something to make myself healthier, I'm not going to live as long as I want to.  So, I bought a fitbit zip o keep track of my steps and walking, and a walking treadmill that can support my current weight.  Funny thing, it is NOT a treadmill Ken would have approved of.  It is not for running at all - they warn you in big letters.  Also, the computer on it is very basic - it measures heart rate, time, pulse, and miles walked.  That is it.  Ken would never want such a low-end piece of fitness equipment.  I look at is as something I can afford right now, and it does the job I need it to do, which is to let me start walking so I can start to get back into shape.  My first goal is to lose 35 lbs, and to be able to walk a good deal further than I can now.  I have a long way to go, but every step is a step in the right direction.

No comments: