Friday, August 26, 2011

Day One

It’s been 29 hours since Ken died, and I still feel like he’s kind of here. I keep waiting to hear his car in the driveway and watch Aslan the Cat go to the bottom of the steps to meet him.

I think everyone knows now, but I may have missed a few. I hope they forgive me. I went to the funeral home this afternoon and made the arrangements for his cremation and memorial service, to be held next Saturday.

I have more food in the house than I know what to do with, and am worried that it will go bad because I don’t have freezer space either.

I talked to the benefits person today at Oracle/Sun. Thankfully, Ian and I are covered on Ken’s regular insurance for the next 30 days. Guess I better get my glasses ordered. After that, we have the option of taking COBRA or doing something else. September 26 is an eternity away, I’m not going to even worry about it now.

Ian is coping pretty well, all things considered. I may not have family, but I do have friends. Ian’s former nanny, now a wife and mother of two, drove over two hours to get here yesterday. and she’d had abdominal surgery only a month before. We toasted Ken with the St. Francis wine we had just gotten, and ate a bit of the food that people brought.

Ken’s life insurance means we will be taken care of, but I’d rather have him than all the money in the world.

No comments: